St Michaels Rathmolyon
Article Index
St Michaels Rathmolyon
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
All Pages


Church of St. Michael the Archangel, Rathmolyon

St. Michael's Church,RathmolyonSt. Michael's Church,Rathmolyon 

On May 28, 1945, Most Rev. Dr. John D’Alton, Bishop of Meath, on his visit to the parish of Kill and Jordanstown for the administration of the Sacrament of Confirmation in Kill Chapel, said that in the future a new church would be needed.  He stated that whilst the present church was still in a good state of repair, it was not one on which money should be spent.  He recommended that a fund be started for a new church and he personally opened the account with a contribution of £100.


The parish priest, Fr. Eugene Daly put the proposal of a new church to the parishioners in both Kill and Jordanstown and received an enthusiastic response.  It was agreed that a five-year collection plan be adopted.  Many people gave an immediate subscription and others adopted a five-year instalment plan.  By the time a Confirmation ceremony was again held in the parish on April 23, 1948, a sum of £5,800 had been subscribed.


The fund raising efforts, which included wheel of fortune, sales of work and concerts, continued for many years.  Fr. Thomas F. Gillooly, C.C. and Fr. Patrick Dillon, P.P. were to the forefront of the campaigns and Fr. Joseph Casey, P.P. bequeathed personal money and the proceeds from the sale of his possessions after his death, to the church building fund.  Other priests were involved in running bingo and dances to raise funds.  A special church envelope collection put in place in the early 1960s was a great success and brought in about £5,000 annually.