St Michaels Kill - Page 3
Article Index
St Michaels Kill
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
All Pages

 

Inteior of St. Michael's Church, KillInteior of St. Michael's Church, Kill

The décor and fittings of the interior of the chapel are also well remembered by many people.  The interior had plain plaster walls with red deal wainscoting to dado-rail height on the lower section.  As the congregation faced the main altar, to the right of what was known as the men’s end, was a side altar dedicated to the Sacred Heart.  The side altar to the left was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and a statue of Our Lady had a halo of lights around the head.  Two other statues stood in the transepts.  To the left was St. Michael the Archangel.  The other statue was of St. Joseph and the Child Jesus and a brass plaque at the base bore the inscription Pray for the deceased relatives of Mrs. Dunne, Little Johnstown.  Behind a wooden, arched altar rail, which had matching gates, hung a white linen cloth.  This cloth had to be turned up and over the rail top by the altar boys prior to the distribution of Holy Communion.

 

Placed on either side of the main aisle were two paraffin oil lamps, which were used to provide lighting in the chapel, prior to its electrification on August 26, 1954.  These lamps were made of brass and extended from wall brackets on swivelled arms that supported pink glass bowls. 

 

The T-shaped chapel had three galleries with a separate staircase leading to each one.  The largest gallery was known as the sanctuary gallery and a number of families in the parish contributed towards the cost of seating thereon.  The gallery over the women’s aisle was known as the de Stacpoole gallery and was used by that family and by the choir.  The third gallery was over the men’s aisle.

 

Above and behind the main altar was a triple panelled stained glass window depicting the Holy Ghost descending upon the Holy Family.  To either side of this window were two other stained glass windows and along the nave were a number of plain glass arched windows.  At the end of the nave was a long narrow stained glass window dedicated to the memory of Fr. Patrick Kiernan, who served as curate from 1912 to 1919.

 

The baptismal font was in a railed off area at the rear of the men’s aisle.  Freestanding marble holy water fonts were positioned at each door.  Each was dated 1908 and the largest one bore the inscription:  Pray for the souls of Very Rev. Hugh Behan, Very Rev. Patrick Cantwell and Very Rev. Hugh McEntee.  The other two had inscriptions: Pray for the Soul of Christopher McMahon and Pray for the Soul of James Harnan.  The McMahon family lived in the Trammon area and the Harnan family lived in Rathmolyon village.

 

The entrance to the vestry was at the men’s aisle end, to the right of the sanctuary.  At the back of the chapel and under the sanctuary gallery was a partitioned off area where the altar boys robed for Mass.  Under the staircase to this gallery was a storage area for the crib and other religious artefacts.  People entered the chapel through a door to the central aisle and through two doors to each of the transepts.  A solid fuel-burning furnace provided heating.

 

Situated at the rear of the chapel were large open stables for the housing of horses or ponies and traps during Church services.  A mass concrete wall at the back of the building and steel pillars at the front, supported a slated roof.  Each stable was sufficiently large to accommodate both horse and trap.  A large ring fixed to the back wall, facilitated the tying up of the horse when stabled.  The stables were individually numbered and allocated to a particular person for their exclusive use or by someone designated by them.

 

Parishioners who wished to avail of the stabling facilities contributed towards the cost of the building.  Around 1915/16, Christy O’Loughlin of Clegarrow (the father of the late Christy of Ballinderrin) submitted an estimate for the renovation and slating of the stables.  Having underestimated the cost, he approached the parish priest to re-negotiate the deal but Fr. Thomas Gilsenan felt that they should stand by the agreed price.  In order to honour his commitment, Christy asked his wife Brigid to go to the Ulster Bank in Trim to raise a loan in order to complete the work.  Whilst Christy suffered a financial loss, the handsome stabling, which existed for many years, was testament to his fine workmanship.