The Parish and Population - Page 2
Article Index
The Parish and Population
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
All Pages

Rathcore 2010Rathcore 2010

 

The Rathmolyon civil parish is now known as Rathmolyon District Electoral Division (D.E.D.).  This is the unit used for census taking, voting, and identifying lands for European aid to agriculture and other civil administration.  The Enfield end of the Roman Catholic parish corresponds with the Innfield and Rahinstown District Electoral Divisions and is roughly based on the old civil parish and the Church of Ireland parish of Rathcore.

 

As Rathmolyon and Rathcore/Enfield parishes have evolved from two separate entities, they will be dealt with separately.

 

Rathmolyon

Rathmolyon 2010Rathmolyon 2010

Rathmolyon is referred to in the Papal Registers of 1212 and again (spelt Rathmullian) in the Civil Survey of 1654.  This lists the townlands, acreages and landlords - the principal landlord being Dr. John Bramhall, Protestant Bishop of Derry at the time.  The Ordnance Field Name Books for Meath 1835-36 recorded the parish as approximately 9,750 statute acres and listed the townlands, more or less as they are today.  A minor variation is Ballin which is in the civil parish of Rathmolyon but is in the Roman Catholic parish of Longwood (there were sixty-three people in the townland before the Famine in 1841 but there was no one recorded there in the 1996 census, so the matter is of academic interest only).  The townland of Moneymore is in the Rathmolyon Parish but has no road link to it (this lack of road was noted in the Ordnance Survey of 1836).  The full list of townlands is shown in the accompanying census table.

 

As the Roman Catholic chapel was in Killballyporter (Kill), the parish was occasionally called Kill but the new church is in Rathmolyon, as is the Church of Ireland church and so the new and the old are in harmony by name.