The Parish and Population - Page 3
Article Index
The Parish and Population
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
All Pages

Enfield/Rathcore/Jordanstown

As already stated, the Enfield end of the Roman Catholic parish comprises the same townlands as the two D.E.Ds of Innfield and Rahinstown.  The older parish was Rathcore and it was on this that all earlier census returns were based.  Rathcore is mentioned in the Annals of the Four Masters in AD 799, AD 800 and AD 815. 

 

Rathcore Church of Ireland, Church and Graveyard. Catholics from parish were buried here until early 1900'sRathcore Church of Ireland, Church and Graveyard. Catholics from parish were buried here until early 1900's

The Ordnance Survey Field Name Book recorded the area of Rathcore Parish as 13,883 acres and listed the townlands.  Included were Ardrums Big, Ardrums Little, Oldtown (in the barony of Deece) and Clonguiffin, none of which are in the present Roman Catholic parish.  In 1881, the net area of the parish was recorded in the census as around 12,042 acres.

 

An early, not very substantial chapel was situated at Jordanstown and as was the custom, the name of the townland Jordanstown transferred to the Roman Catholic parish.  An anomaly is that the present church is actually situated in Kilcorney but is always called Jordanstown Church, presumably on account of the earlier location of a church across the townland boundary.  A similar position exists in Baconstown.  The new school built in 1966 is across the road from the old building and is situated in Ballinaskea, but is always known as Baconstown School

 

The entire area of the parish is in the postal district of Enfield.  The village of Enfield is a focal point on the N4, though oddly enough there is no townland of Enfield and there is no church in the village.  Common consent is that the Roman Catholic parish is now referred to as Enfield and Rathmolyon, though Enfield is shown on many maps by its older name of Innfield.  The Church of Ireland parish is now known as the Dunboyne and Rathmolyon Union of Parishes.

 

Church of Ireland Rathmolyon. Catholichs from Parish were buried in Graveyard until early 1900'sChurch of Ireland Rathmolyon. Catholichs from Parish were buried in Graveyard until early 1900's