The Shrine at Tobertynan - Page 2
Article Index
The Shrine at Tobertynan
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
All Pages

 

 

Celebration of Mass In Tobertynan WoodsCelebration of Mass In Tobertynan Woods

Around that time, there was a system known as questing[i], whereby members of some Orders sought alms for their support, and it is more than likely that this was how the MacEvoys and Fr. Charles first became acquainted.  Great cures were attributed to Fr. Charles’ prayers and it is probable that Edward and Eliza sought his intercession.  After eighteen years of marriage, their baby daughter, whom they christened Pauline Mary, was born.  The MacEvoys and Fr. Charles corresponded for many years and one letter written by Fr. Charles shortly after Pauline’s birth stated this good child was given to you through the intercession of St. Paul of the Cross

 

In thanksgiving for the birth of their daughter, Edward and Eliza erected a shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes, on a Scots Pine tree in the woods of Tobertynan Estate in 1868 (ten years after the apparitions at Lourdes).  Fr. Charles blessed the shrine, but it would appear from records at Mount Argus, that he might not have done so at the time it was erected, as he was not in Ireland then.  He had been transferred to England in March 1866 and remained there until January 1874, when he returned to Dublin.  It is more likely that he blessed the shrine in the years following his return from England.

Fr. Charles died in 1893.  In 1928, the cause to have him canonized was begun.  Following a thorough examination of his life, virtues, writings and reputation for holiness, Pope John Paul II beatified him on October 16, 1988.  Blessed Charles’ memorial day is celebrated on January 5, the anniversary of his death.  During the homily at the beatification ceremony, the Pope spoke of Fr. Charles’ priestly ministry and of his dedicated service to others.  Proof of the occurrence of two miracles will be required for canonization. 

Edward MacEvoy died in February 1899 and his wife, Eliza died in 1904.  Their daughter Pauline married George, the 4th Duke de Stacpoole on December 1, 1883.  Their son, George who married Eileen Constance Palmer of Glenlo Abbey, Co. Galway in November 1915, restored the shrine in 1939 and erected a plaque beneath.  The inscription reads:

 

THIS SHRINEWAS ERECTED TO THE GLORY OF GOD

AND IN HONOUR OF HIS BLESSED MOTHER

IN 1868 BY

EDWARD MAC EVOY,

OF TOBERTYNAN

AND HIS WIFE ELIZA.

IT WAS RESTORED IN 1939 BY THEIR GRANDSON

GEORGE FIFTH DUKE de STACPOOLE,

AND HIS WIFE EILEEN.

THE SHRINE WAS BLESSED BY THE

REVERED FATHER CHARLES (HOUBAN)

OF THE ORDER OF PASSIONISTS. 

 

Plaque beneath Shrine in Tobertynan WoodsPlaque beneath Shrine in Tobertynan Woods